The Lister house was built in 1875 by Joseph Lister at 127 Victoria Avenue South. In 1852, he constructed a four-storey stone building known as the Lister Block. The building was destroyed by fire in 1923, but the following year a new Lister Block was erected on the same site on James Street North. In 1948, this large family home was sold to a local contractor for conversion into an apartment building.
Historypin | Map | In 1879 City of Hamilton bought 4 acres north of barton between Victoria and Wellington. It opened 1882. Maternity unit opened 1892 and in 1938 the first cancer clinic in Hamilton was established at the General