From 1918 to 1919 the community of Imperoyal Village was built next door to the newly constructed Imperial Oil refinery in Woodside Dartmouth NS.
The purpose of Imperoyal Village was to provide permanent living accommodations for the families of full time employees of the refinery, who wanted to live close to work.
Pleasant St in In the first few decades of the twentieth century, the communities of Imperoyal and Woodside were sparsely populated, with only Eastern Passage Road (later renamed Pleasant Street) connecting them to Dartmouth.
Aerial view of the Dartmouth Imperial Oil Refinery taken in the Imperoyal Village is located in the lower right corner of the photo. The homes of the superintendent and assistant superintendent are at the very end of Avenue B closest Halifax Harbour.