The Birks Building (1883) was designed by architect Richard Waite for the head offices of the Canada Life Assurance Co. In 1929 the upper storeys of the building were severely damaged by fire. New owners Ryrie-Birks Co. announced the building would be reconstructed almost exactly as it had been, save for the clocktower, which was replaced by a clock hanging from a lower storey. This clock now hangs inside Hamilton Farmers' Market. After much opposition, the building was demolished in 1972.
Derby Tavern on Queenston Road -- 126 Queenston Road. In the 1920's this tavern was called the Derby House, a wagon stop for traffic along a rough road that let to Niagara. Named after Mr. Derbyshire, the first owner, its second owner turned it into a larger complex in 1954. The Derby was a live country music hot spot in its heyday. It closed in 2009. This photograph was taken by J. Brian Henley, who at the time was an employee of the Hamilton Public Library.
In the early years of the 20th century the lure of Hamilton's Beach brought hundreds of Hamiltonians out during the summer months to take advantage of the beach and the water. In 1903, to take advantage of the tourists a modest little amusement park began beside the Canal. It was called, simply, the Canal Amusement Park.
Opened on October 25, 1882 on Barton Street East at Victoria, the hospital building was designed by local architect Lucien Hills. It had all the latest technology of the day, including speaking tubes and dumb waiters. It was originally referred to as the City Hospital until 1915 when it became known as the Hamilton General Hospital.