Mimico Public Library 1914. In 1912, several prominent Mimico residents decided to establish a public library board as a recreational project for the village. With 1,373 residents, the village's population was well below the minimum of 2,000 people usually required for Carnegie grants. Nevertheless, on February 26, 1914, Mimico received a Carnegie grant of $7,500 to build a library. At $5.46 per capita, this was the highest per capita amount received in the Toronto area.
Yorkville interior. This photo likely taken before 1909, when the Toronto Public Library Board had adopted the "open shelf" storage system, which allowed readers to browse the books and not have to request them from staff. The area to the right of the main entrance was set aside as the "Teachers and Children's Room." The branch was finished throughout with massive quarter-cut oak. Note the light sconces on the upper right: two of these were uncovered in May 2003 during a retrofit at the…
Vintage photo circa of female librarian / staff behind checkout desk on adult floor. Notice the early fire hose equipment in the background - early health and safety fire protection in libraries. Miss Larkin ?
Yorkville Branch - Toronto Public Library - interior photo circa 1909 - notice classical busts in the childrens' area in the corner (see floor plan pin) - lots of art on the walls- possibly Audubon prints?
Central Library - College Street Postcard c. 1910 Architectural historian Patricia McHugh described the Toronto Reference Library as "one of the best Second Classical Revival buildings in Toronto, rich in sculptural stone ornament but poised and firm with graceful large windows set deep into smooth yellow-brick walls and a gradually stepped approach to dignify the entrance."1
Great article on Toronto's early Carnegie libraries in: "Historicist: Andrew Carnegie’s Toronto Legacy" By Kevin Plummer. Seen here is a photo of Andrew Carnegie at Toronto Old City Hall (TRL 969 12 from the collection of the Toronto Public Library.