History

Pictures from the past of Port Dover and Norfolk County in Ontario.
60 Pins25 Followers
The fish tug “Trimac” at Misner’s fish plant  dock next to the lift bridge to unload the catch, circa, 1965.

The fish tug “Trimac” at Misner’s fish plant dock next to the lift bridge to unload the catch, circa,

Faulkner’s Livery was located on Market St.  Port Dover across from the Dominion Hotel with “Dunedin” tourist house behind. Circa, 1900.

Faulkner’s Livery was located on Market St. Port Dover across from the Dominion Hotel with “Dunedin” tourist house behind.

Dominion Hotel, Port Dover, corner of Market and Main St., 1909. The building  still stands today. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

Dominion Hotel, Port Dover, corner of Market and Main St., 1909. The building still stands today. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

Norfolk House, now the Norfolk Tavern, Port Dover, circa 1895.  The building was used as a military barracks during the 1837 rebellion.

Norfolk House, now the Norfolk Tavern, Port Dover, circa The building was used as a military barracks during the 1837 rebellion.

Penman’s Mill, Port Dover, 1908, dam on the right is the one that preceded Misner’s dam. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-4.htm

1908 photograph of Penman's Mill in Port Dover

Ferry at the Port Dover pier loading cars to return to Erie, Pennsylvania. Circa, 1930.

Ferry at the Port Dover pier loading cars to return to Erie, Pennsylvania.

Lower Main St., Port Dover, 1929.  The Arbor is on the right and the first Erie Beach Hotel top left.

, Port Dover, The Arbor is on the right and the first Erie Beach Hotel top left.

View from Brant Hill of the railroad station, with the Norfolk Hotel behind and the spire of St. Paul’s Anglican Church on top left. Circa, 1908.

View from Brant Hill of the railroad station, with the Norfolk Hotel behind and the spire of St. Paul’s Anglican Church on top left.

Train Engine 906 being turned around on the turntable that was at the foot of St. George St., Port Dover, 1947.

Train Engine 906 being turned around on the turntable that was at the foot of St.

Bell’s Hotel, Port Dover, built in 1875, later became the Dominion Hotel, circa 1890. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

Bell’s Hotel, Port Dover, built in 1875, later became the Dominion Hotel, circa 1890. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

John Backhouse built this sawmill in 1798, later converted to a gristmill. Today it’s part of the Backus Heritage Conservation Area, Port Rowan. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

John Backhouse built this sawmill in 1798, later converted to a gristmill. Today it’s part of the Backus Heritage Conservation Area, Port Rowan. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

Once a popular site around Port Dover harbour and fishing shanties, gill net drying reels.

Once a popular site around Port Dover harbour and fishing shanties, gill net drying reels.

Alligator tugs were tested on the Lynn River beside the foundry before being shipped by rail to their destination. Amphibious because they moved over land by utilizing their winch. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

Alligator tugs were tested on the Lynn River beside the foundry before being shipped by rail to their destination. Amphibious because they moved over land by utilizing their winch. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-3.htm

Port Dover beach on a busy day, with the first Summer Garden’s built over the water, built in 1920 and destroyed in a storm in 1929. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-4.htm

Port Dover beach on a busy day, with the first Summer Garden’s built over the water, built in 1920 and destroyed in a storm in 1929. http://www.escapetodover.com/photo-gallery-then-page-4.htm

Port Dover pier area, always a popular place but especially so on this July 1st. Circa 1940.

Port Dover pier area, always a popular place but especially so on this July Circa

Aerial view of Thomas A Ivey greenhouses, that grew roses and mums which were shipped throughout North America, circa, 1920.

Aerial view of Thomas A Ivey greenhouses, that grew roses and mums which were shipped throughout North America, circa,

Pinterest
Search