Reflecting on The Major Arcana
0. Fool This joyful, carefree person doesn’t know how far the jump from the cliff will be, if it is worth it, or if he is ready. “Leap and the net will appear” is not always the truth, yet opportunity lies ahead. Ask: Am I ready for the next adventure? Am I willing to take a risk? Is there anything I can do to be well-prepared and lessen the risk?
3. Empress Abundant expansion, fertility and growth. Creativity, love, compassion and empathy. Mother Nature in a healthy state. Ask: How can I nurture my creative passions? What ideas are growing and ready to bloom? Where is my heartfelt compassion best served?
5. Heirophant Tradition, conformity and external social rules. A teacher and student, and the connection or disconnect between inner and outer spirituality. Ask: Is this a good time to seek advice? Is there something I need to do to get me to where I’m going? Are there hoops to jump through or red tape to be addressed before I can move on? What can I learn?
7. Chariot Resolutions made with determination and focus. Control of opposing forces with grace and joining effort with ambition and purpose to achieve goals. Ask: What goal can I achieve with a strong will? What circumstances are changing because of my intentions?
6. Lovers Important choices to be followed by commitment. Union, sharing, trust, healthy relationships, partnerships. Being self-aware of promises. Ask: Am I ready to commit to this decision? Can I keep promises I make to myself and others? Can I trust my inner wisdom to guide me?
11. Justice Honesty and Universal fairness without influence. The ability to be discerning without emotional influence. Clear and logical ideas and concepts. Ask: How can I use my calm logic to aid a situation? What acts can I correct or undo? Where have I been swayed and how can I correct it?
8. Strength Inner strength, courage, and patience. Calm clarity in times of adversity or healing. Keep your head on and your heart fearlessly open. Ask: Where can I use love or compassion to solve problems? How can I use gentleness as strength without compromising boundaries?
13. Death Major transformation through unplanned loss or deliberately letting go making space for new growth. An ending to be followed by a beginning. Ask: What is it that no longer serves me or is useful? How can I move past fear and resistance to allow things to pass? What opportunity lies beyond this transition?
12. Hanged Man Metamorphosis or enlightenment by sacrifice or patience. Willingness to wait in order to embrace the new Self. A different point of view may emerge. Ask: Is there something I can give up or change to become a better ‘me’? How can I ease into change? How can I view things from a different perspective?
15. Devil The illusion of fear or desire. Self-imposed limitations, negative thinking or obsession. Addiction, manipulation or unhealthy attachments. The shadow side – the dark side. Ask: Am I aware and able to break free of my trap? What can I do to embrace and heal my shadow? Is there a situation that I may want to escape from?
4. Temperance Moderation, balance and harmony. The alchemical connection between physical and spiritual worlds. A magical blending of elements and energy. Nothing too extreme. Ask: Am I taking good care of myself in all areas? Where can I find greater balance? How can I bring the physical/material aspects of my life into better balance with the spiritual/emotional?
18. Moon Confusion or deception. Not all is as it seems. Not a time for important decisions – best to stick with creative ventures. Hunches, dreams, intuition, and illusion are high. Seek clarity. Ask: Is there something I am missing? Am I being misunderstood, or am I misinterpreting information? How can I make good use of my dreams and intuition?
19. Sun Success, fulfilment and optimism. Achievement, good fortune, health and happiness. Universal union leads to greater things. Ask: Where are my gifts and talents best put to use? What initiative can I take now to further my success? What abundance can I offer myself and share with others?
16. Tower Unexpected change. Disruption or the breakdown of structure or old constructs. Sudden and dramatic, the storm before the calm. Liberation can come through the pain of chaos. Ask: Can I feel a build-up in an area of life? If things shift dramatically, can I find the pieces to pick up afterwards? Am I ready for big change?
17. Star New hope and a bright future are on the horizon. Opportunities present themselves and can be realized with honest effort and goodwill. Troubles are in the past. Ask: What opportunity can I reap from past experience? How do I best shine in my abilities? How do I nurture a humble nature and cosmic connection at this time?
20. Judgment Assessment, rebirth, renewal, awakening, a new phase of life. A calling or crossroad. Time to awaken. Ask: Have I reached a moment where I can become more of who I REALLY am? Can I connect deeply to my Higher Self? Are there really infinite possibilities? What can I do to help others on their path?
21. World Completion or natural conclusion. Completion or natural conclusion. Attainment, fulfilment, culmination. A cycle complete, prepare for the next. Ask: As this cycle ends, what can I wrap up, leave behind and let go of as I face an amazing new beginning? How can I best design this next stage of my life? What rewards have I earned and what new adventure do I seek?