#Montreal’s Champs de Mars area has had quite the transformation over the last century. It was once a military parade ground surrounded by Montreal’s fortifications and was then paved over — as seen in this photo from July 3, 1930 — to become a parking lot. The city eventually decided to turn the grounds into a park in the 1980s. The fort walls were found during the transformation and are now highlighted in the landscape. This photo was found in the @montrealgazette #archive library.