Jerash and Ajloun, Jordan

Photos taken by David Stanley during a visit to the ancient Roman city of Gerasa (Jerash) and Qa'lat ar-Rabad at Ajloun, Jordan.
18 Pins257 Followers
The massive columns of the Temple of Artemis at Jerash, Jordan, sway slightly in the wind. Artemis was the patron goddess of the ancient Roman city of Gerasa.

The massive columns of the Temple of Artemis at Jerash, Jordan, sway slightly in the wind. Artemis was the patron goddess of the ancient Roman city of Gerasa.

Jerash is the best preserved ancient Roman city in Jordan, as exemplified by the Oval Plaza or Forum with its 56 Ionic columns.

Jerash is the best preserved ancient Roman city in Jordan, as exemplified by the Oval Plaza or Forum with its 56 Ionic columns.

The 1st century AD South Theater is the older of two Roman theaters at Jerash, Jordan. The acoustics are excellent.

The 1st century AD South Theater is the older of two Roman theaters at Jerash, Jordan. The acoustics are excellent.

The Aybak Tower (1214) at Qa'lat ar-Rabad near Ajloun, Jordan, offers excellent views of the countryside. The castle is considered an excellent example of Ayyubid military architecture.

The Aybak Tower (1214) at Qa'lat ar-Rabad near Ajloun, Jordan, offers excellent views of the countryside. The castle is considered an excellent example of Ayyubid military architecture.

The museum in Qa'lat ar-Rabad (1184) at  Ajloun, Jordan, occupies one of the castle's vaulted chambers.

The museum in Qa'lat ar-Rabad (1184) at Ajloun, Jordan, occupies one of the castle's vaulted chambers.

Qa'lat ar-Rabad (1184) at Ajloun, Jordan, was built using limestone cut from the dry moat around the castle.

Qa'lat ar-Rabad (1184) at Ajloun, Jordan, was built using limestone cut from the dry moat around the castle.

Qa'lat ar-Rabad (1184) on a hilltop at Ajloun is one of the only medieval castles in Jordan built by the Arabs. Its purpose was to limit the expansion of Crusader territory.

Qa'lat ar-Rabad (1184) on a hilltop at Ajloun is one of the only medieval castles in Jordan built by the Arabs. Its purpose was to limit the expansion of Crusader territory.

Ajloun, 25 kilometers west of Jerash, is an important regional center in northwestern Jordan.

Ajloun, 25 kilometers west of Jerash, is an important regional center in northwestern Jordan.

This mounted F-104A Starfighter was glimpsed beside the highway between Jerash and Ajloun, Jordan. The last Starfighter was withdrawn from service in 2004.

This mounted F-104A Starfighter was glimpsed beside the highway between Jerash and Ajloun, Jordan. The last Starfighter was withdrawn from service in 2004.

The Cardo Maximus ends at the North Gate of ancient Roman Gerasa, now Jerash, Jordan.

The Cardo Maximus ends at the North Gate of ancient Roman Gerasa, now Jerash, Jordan.

The South Decumanus was one of several east-west avenues crossing the north-south Cardo Maximus in the ancient Roman city of Jerash, Jordan.

The South Decumanus was one of several east-west avenues crossing the north-south Cardo Maximus in the ancient Roman city of Jerash, Jordan.

The modern city of Jerash, Jordan, is visible from the North Theater (165 AD) in the Roman archaeological site.

The modern city of Jerash, Jordan, is visible from the North Theater (165 AD) in the Roman archaeological site.

From the Propylaeum gateway on the Cardo Maximus, worshippers in the ancient Roman city of Gerasa, now Jerash, Jordan, would climb a monumental stairway to the Temple of Artemis.

From the Propylaeum gateway on the Cardo Maximus, worshippers in the ancient Roman city of Gerasa, now Jerash, Jordan, would climb a monumental stairway to the Temple of Artemis.

The colonnaded Cardo Maximus was the main street in the ancient Roman city of Jerash, Jordan. The ruts worn by chariots are still visible.

The colonnaded Cardo Maximus was the main street in the ancient Roman city of Jerash, Jordan. The ruts worn by chariots are still visible.

The wealth of ancient Gerasa is evident in the massive Sanctuary of Zeus (162 AD) overlooking the southern half of the archaeological area at Jerash, Jordan.

The wealth of ancient Gerasa is evident in the massive Sanctuary of Zeus (162 AD) overlooking the southern half of the archaeological area at Jerash, Jordan.

This Byzantine church just off the Propylaeum Plaza at Jerash, Jordan, still has a fine mosaic floor.

This Byzantine church just off the Propylaeum Plaza at Jerash, Jordan, still has a fine mosaic floor.

Pinterest
Search