Photos taken by David Stanley on Mozambique Island, the capital of Portuguese East Africa for almost 500 years.
Thatched houses are the norm in Makuti Town in the southern part of Mozambique Island. Much of the population earns its livelihood from fishing.
The triangular Ilhéu Fortim de São Lourenço sits on a tiny island off the south end of Mozambique Island.
Women in many areas along the southwest Indian Ocean apply a beauty mask of coral and sandalwood paste to protect their faces from the sun. These women were on Mozambique Island.
The Palácio de São Paulo (1610), a former Jesuit college on Mozambique Island, was once the residence of the Portuguese governor of Mozambique. Today it's a museum.
Colonial buildings still occupy much of the northern half of Mozambique Island.
The old Portuguese Tribunal still serves as a courthouse on Mozambique Island.
Local children having fun on the beach at Mozambique Island.
The protected harbour beach at Mozambique Island is a popular place in the afternoon.
A section of Avenida Amilcar Cabral on Mozambique Island is a pedestrian promenade.
This neoclassical hospital building (1877) on Mozambique Island dates from Portuguese colonial times. It was once the largest hospital south of the Sahara.
Avenida 25 de Junho is the main street of southern Mozambique Island.
A 3.4-kilometer bridge built in the 1960s connects Mozambique Island to Lumbo on the African mainland.
An image of the Virgin stands above the tomb of Joao Albuquerque Amaral (1907-1958) outside the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Saúde at the southwest end of Mozambique Island.
The colonial era Fortim Igreja de Santo Antonio on Mozambique Island overlooks Mozambique Channel.
Banyan trees fill a park on Mozambique Island.
The Capela de Nossa Senhora Baluarte (1522), next to the Fortaleza de São Sebastião on Mozambique Island, is reputed to be the oldest European building in the southern hemisphere.