The Swallow Grotto Trail follows a particularly narrow stretch of the Taroko Gorge in Taroko National Park, Taiwan. The potholes in the marble cliff were created by groundwater leaching out.
One of Taiwan's last cycle rickshaw drivers still plies the streets of Lukang.
Nine Turns Lane is typical of the narrow curving alleys of Lukang, Taiwan, designed to guard against cold winter winds.
The wooden roof of the Mountain Gate at Lungshan Temple in Lukang, Taiwan, employs the traditional Chinese dougong bracketing system.
Lungshan Temple in Lukang is one of the purest examples of 18th century southern Taiwanese temple architecture.
Love River in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, was once described as an "open sewer" but it has now been cleaned up and there are now lovely riverside promenades and even excursion boat cruises.
Around 20 Chinese temples are next to Lotus Pond just north of Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
A seated Big Buddha (2011) is a feature of the Fo Guang Shan Buddha Museum near Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
A striking Burmese Buddha statue is in the Art Gallery at Fo Guang Shan Monastery near Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
The 36-meter-high Great Buddha (1975) at Fo Guang Shan Monastery near Kaohsiung, Taiwan, is one of the largest Buddha statues in South East Asia.
A guardian demon watches over a 300-year-old gilded statue of the Chinese sea goddess Mazu at the Grand Mazu Temple in Tainan, Taiwan.
A fearsome image of Guan Yu, a deified Han Dynasty general, stands on the main altar of the God of War Temple (1690) in Tainan, Taiwan.
Fort Provintia (Chihkan Tower) in Tainan, Taiwan, was originally erected by the Dutch in 1653. Two Chinese temples were built on the fort's foundations in the late 19th century. The nine stone stelae date the Qing Dynasty.
These Chinese workers are shucking oysters on Anping Road in Tainan, Taiwan.
Much of 17th century Fort Zeelandia (Anping Fort) at Tainan, Taiwan, has been rebuilt but a few crumbling remains from Dutch times are still seen.
In the early 17th century the Dutch ruled Taiwan from Fort Zeelandia (1624), now called Anping Fort, in Tainan. Its capture by Ming Dynasty loyalists in 1661 marked the end of the Dutch period.