I used some electrical PVC flex tubing to protect the wires that were through some sharper edges in the van.
The pillar cover behind the driver and passenger seats, with the seatbelt recoil in them, was just pulled away at the top enough to remove the headliner, i did not need to remove them completely.
I installed extra wood backing in certain areas to help secure the bulkheads and cabinets, 1/2" plywood is what I used to keep as flush as possible to the face of the metal so as not to bulge out the panelling that is to follow.
I installed LowE reflectix after the 3M thinsulate. My research showed to try to have a gap between the layers to make the reflectix function best, which is why i aminstalling it over top the cross slats. Also, i am trying to make this layer as continuous as possible to be an effective vapour barrier.
After 2 layers of the Thinsulate insulation was installed, I installed a layer of the lowE reflectix. This does double duty, for sound and vapour barrier.
Cutting the 3m Thinsulate in the shop. A straight edge and a sharp knife.
I removed the headliner to expose the roof area over the cab that needed insulating. I did not want to leave this out as it is a big area where heat can escape.
This is the front headliner after it was removed and laying in the back of the van. It came out rather easily once all of the visors and handles and pillar covers were removed.
This is the front pillar on the driver side showing the wiring that was located behind the cover from the factory.
Here is the front passenger side pillar where i ran some wiring down into the dashboard. This wire will feed some rooftop area lights I intend to install. I plan to put the switches in the dash using some of the blank spaces available.
I followed the path used by the factory wiring harness to pull some additional wires. These white wires will feed some USB ports i plan to install above the visors to power some bluetooth speakers.
Here is a picture of the front pillar cover removed, showing the mounting clips.
Close up picture of the clips that hold the front pillars in place. If you are careful they will pull out without breaking. I did not use any special tools, just pried them out with my fingers.
I glued a layer of 3M thinsulate to the areas between the van structural member using a spary on adhesive I bought from Home Depot. The thinsulate and lowE were purchased from impact3d.com through eBay. I intend to use the van for skiing so wanted the best R value I could. Through my research, i determined the thinsulate was the best, (but not the cheapest), method for me to use. I used a fishtape and string to pull insulation into the hollow pillars of the van.
I added a second layer of the 3m Thinsulate to the entire roof and sides, (where I had the depth), to ensure the best R value possible. I plan to use this van to go skiing, so I am going for max R value. The second layer is also continuous across the entire rooftop and held in place using the wood slats screwed to the cross members of the van. Make sure your screws are not too long, or else they could puncture the outer skin of the van.