In January 1962, Grammar's newly-constructed building was opened on Atlantic Street, on a 2.5-acre site near Saint Mary's University in the south end of Halifax. Library facilities and a gymnasium were added in 1973. Science labs, a music room, and a space for the first primary class were built in 1980. Finally, a major renovation was undertaken in 1987, which significantly reshaped both the façade and the interior and added more classrooms and an auditorium.
Point Pleasant Park is just a few minutes walk away, an easy field trip distance even for the youngest legs!
In the spring of 2000, Halifax Grammar School secured the historic Tower Road School as a second campus. An extensive renovation was undertaken including the conversion of the gymnasium into a 300-seat multi-purpose theatre and the new Middle School opened in September 2000. In 2011, we renovated to update the heating to natural gas, and to create our acoustically designed performing arts studio.
Opened in our 1400 square foot acoustically designed Performing Arts Studio is home to hundreds of budding performers in seven bands, studying an international repertoire including everything from funk to opera.
Halifax Grammar School, an independent school in Halifax, Nova Scotia