Aerial Photograph of York Factory, Port Nelson, Manitoba (14414)
Aerial photograph of This Hudson Bay Company outpost on Nelson River began as a fur trading post in 1671. The present structure was opened in 1793 and operated until 1957. It is now maintained as a historic site (14414)
Fort York at the time of the War of 1812. Built in 1793, Fort York is the birthplace of urban Toronto. It is best known as the location where the Battle of York came to its violent climax in 1813 during the War of 1812.
FORT YORK was built by the British Army and Canadian militia troops in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, to defend the settlement and the new capital of the Upper Canada region from the threat of a military attack, principally from the newly independent United States.
Perched incongruously amid vast tundra wilderness, York Factory was the Hudson’s Bay Company’s major trading and administration centre for centuries. Its grounds and grand Depot, filled with artifacts, provide profound insights into a pivotal period in Canada’s founding days.