Joseph Henry Hulse worked as the undertaker in Orangeville for 44 years from this Broadway location. He was born in Pottageville, raised in Schomburg, and moved to Orangeville in 1883 to open his business. On June 15, 1918 a tornado hit Orangeville causing bodily harm to Hulse and damaging the building. Today, the building is no longer standing.
Some things really have changed while others stayed the same, as we can see in this aerial photo of downtown Orangeville. The photo is looking South across Broadway- Town Hall can be seen at the lower right corner.
Boris R. Parkingson, for whom the Parkinson Centennial Public School (1968) was named, was the chairman of the Upper Grand School Board. He went to school for law which he practiced in Orangeville, as can be seen in this photo in front of his office at 143-145 Broadway. Boris passed away at the age of 83 in January 1991.
205 Broadway, built in 1875, began as a bank operated by James S. Fead, the founder of the Orangeville Business and Loan Society, and then the firm of Hahn and Lewis. After Hahn's firm vacated the building it became the Orangeville Business College, where pupils would learn commercial and stenographic skills. Today, the building is the home of Natural Choice health food store. This photograph shows the students of Orangeville Business College gathered outside on the sidewalk of Broadway.
Hidden for decades behind the fireplace mantle at 3 Third Ave. in Orangeville, this ticket was found during renovations and gives us a peek into the history of Orangeville, including the late Grand Central Hotel.
This amazing photo shows Broadway in the looking East from the corner of First St. and Broadway. The Grand Central Hotel can be seen on the right, and to the left the historic building which no longer remains at 199 Broadway.
In the Alvin Grigg opened The Grigg Co, a department store created to mimic Woolworths and Kresges, offering affordable prices during war time at 139 Broadway. The building is now home to The White Truffle.