Hamilton Farmers' Market, 1890s. Taken from what is now the middle of Jackson Square facing east towards James St. N. The large building in the center, is old City Hall. To the left is the entrance to Market Hall, which was destroyed by fire in 1917. Photo by Charles S. Cochran.
Opened on October 25, 1882 on Barton Street East at Victoria, the hospital building was designed by local architect Lucien Hills. It had all the latest technology of the day, including speaking tubes and dumb waiters. It was originally referred to as the City Hospital until 1915 when it became known as the Hamilton General Hospital.