photograph shows a view looking east on Columbia at Eighth Street. Electric station, Westminster Trust Block and Trapp Building can be seen. A couple of Pacific Stage Lines buses can be seen at the BCER bus terminal.
September 24, 1912 postcard. On front of the original was written "Royal Auto on Columbia St., New Westminster, B.C. 1912." This was the royal automobile that bore HRH the Duke of Connaught from Vancouver to New Westminster. The royal automobile then was paraded down Columbia (as shown in this photo). At left, is Merchants Bank of Canada, at right, Windsor Hotel. The photo was taken at the corner of Begbie & Columbia. See the British Columbian for that day on pages 1 & 8.
Photograph shows the 1912 Hyack Anvil Salute. A group of men are shown standing on Eighth Street near Columbia Street with the anvil in front of them. The Hyack Anvil Salute was performed in front of Thomas Ovens Blacksmith shop.
1909 Columbia looking east from Central Hotel (near 8th Street). This photo was taken before pavement & lighting. The street was paved and improved, lighting was put in by 1911. The photowas in an album titled, "Views Showing Hassam Pavement as Laid by the Hassam Paving Co. of B.C. Ltd." On the south side of Columbia is: Edison Theatre at 772, K. Kirikopoulos boots &shoes at 768, Royal City Transfer Co. (H.A. Belya & Co.) at 766, the Tram Barber Shop at 764, BCER at 756.
Photograph shows Eighth Street at Columbia Street lined with crowds watching the car carrying King George VI and Queen Elizabeth during their 1939 visit. Businesses shown are Ziegler's Confectioner, the Russell Hotel, and the Premier Hotel.