I wanted to try a similar style sling chair in chipboard, and adapted the shape of the chair after learning from my first prototype. This one was much harder to make as the chipboard is quite flimsy when cut thin. I have no idea how, but this took me 6 hours to make. It was finicky, floppy, and didn’t even illustrate the type of material I was looking to mimic.
For my 1:1 model, I decided to make it out of chipboard. First I measured and drew out the side views of the chair with a ruler and compass. Then I cut them out. Next I cut out the sections I would use for the top view. To get them to bend, I kerfed them and kept them in the desired shape with wood glue pressed against a box to dry.
I was reviewing some of the old concepts for the chair and realized that my backrest seems to have a trend of looking very linear and straight. Maybe it was a subconscious thing but I did strat liking it. There I came up with a design to make sure that when no force or weight is applied onto the backrest, it seems straight and linear but once an individual is seated, the backrest adapts and adjusts to the individual's back.
I made the scale of the dining table to go along with my chair. I just made it out of a thin cardboard i got from work. It is just a simple table to show the scale of the chair.
With this iteration, I was able to join the seat, armrests and backrest to better emphasize on the form of the chair as an one piece rather than those components being separate. I also shifted the armrests inwards towards the back and more open from the front so the chair doesn't seem too "blocky" with hard edges.
Currently exploring different design capabilities through scaled sketches. Mainly surrounding the upper portion of the chair, including the arm rest, back rest and possibly desk integration...? I'm currently also working out how many different parts the chair consists of for assembly reasons.
From the last class critique I found out to improve the backrest to better form an individual. So I started out with craving out the backrest to the desired form to create a cast for the mold. Then I poured the melted candle wax into the mold to get the backrest which I then refined by melting and sanding. After that, I joined the armrests with the backrest mold to create unity for the form of the chair.
Continued... Once i finished it and put it together, I realized that blowing it up to a bigger scale really helps. It reassured myself that the mechanism will work and it gave me a better idea of the chair. Compared to a 1:5 model, the 1:2 is very different. Overall it gave me a better understanding of the chair from a new perspective.
First I thought that I will add some layers of paper also on the top side of the chair. Then I changed my mind and decided to leave it like it was, so you would be able the measurements and the way how I cut and bent the paper.
From creating another refined 1:5 model I incorporated the feedback given from previous class. Making the transition from the seat to the legs seamless. Before construction, I mapped out the specific components of the chair to understand its assembly. As I was constructing I realized that the arm rest and thin backrest would be extremely uncomfortable.
For my first improvement I fixed up my 1:2 model. I removed all the tape and hot glued it together. At first I thought the tape on the chair looked okay, but after i glued it and removed the tape I realize how much nicer it looks glued on. It made the whole model look much better and more presentable.
I wish I have chose nice, simple chair with a straight geometrical frame, easy to make. I have no clue what I am doing. Just guessing .
I wanted to focus more on the form of the chair for this one. I felt I needed to flush out what I really wanted it to look like. I played around with the lines and decided I didn't enjoy the geometric bottom and curved top. I much preferred a sleek and tapered silhouette. I also solved how I would insert the wheel into the actual body.
(Contd) It inspired me to explore bending material, as this could be an aesthetically pleasing and structural feature, while cutting down on material use. After testing out a model of the chair's arm, which I made by cutting out a mold from layers of cardboard and forming a strip of scored chipboard, i then was ready to test my own design. This design was furthermore inspired by other chairs such as Hem's Touchwood Chair and Hay's Copenhague, which I likewise moulded around a cardboard jig.