French town of Oradour-sur-Glane, before. In 1946 the French government decided to preserve the ruins of Oradour-sur-Glane. The forty acres of crumbling buildings became a martyred village. A testament of French suffering under the German occupation.
June 10, 1944, soldiers of the 2nd SS Division Das Reich committed a massacre in the village of Oradour-sur-Glane, near Limoges . 642 people died. In this photo taken in the early 1950s, one can read the sign at the entrance of the village: "Remember". The village today is an open museum and time capsule, open to visitors.