Hamilton Farmers' Market, 1890s. Taken from what is now the middle of Jackson Square facing east towards James St. N. The large building in the center, is old City Hall. To the left is the entrance to Market Hall, which was destroyed by fire in 1917. Photo by Charles S. Cochran.
In the early years of the 20th century the lure of Hamilton's Beach brought hundreds of Hamiltonians out during the summer months to take advantage of the beach and the water. In 1903, to take advantage of the tourists a modest little amusement park began beside the Canal. It was called, simply, the Canal Amusement Park.