Located on 100 acres in the picturesque town of Port Hope, Ontario, Trinity College School balances historic beauty with state-of-the-art facilities.
Similar ideas popular now
The TCS health centre offers comprehensive health care and education to all students within a framework of professionalism and sensitivity. Our holistic approach to health care encompasses both physical and mental well-being. A nurse is available 24 hours each day school is in session. The health centre is located on the south end of campus, across Ward Street.
Opened in September 2011, the Visual Arts Wing is the home of the Senior School visual arts program. At nearly 10,000 square feet, the facility has several "green" building features and includes two state-of-the-art studios on the main level, additional studio and classroom space on the lower level, and a gallery space.
Built in 1903, Petry House is named after Dr. H.J.H. Petry, who was a classics teacher at the School for 23 years. It is now home to the School's finance office. Petry House is located on the southwest corner of campus, at the corner of Deblaquire Street North and Ward Street.
Erected in 1922, the Memorial Cross was first known as the Wayward Cross. A gift of the Ladies' Guild (now the TCS Parents' Guild), the cross was created in memory of Old Boys who lost their lives in World War 1. Each year, the School's Remembrance Day service concludes at the Memorial Cross.
In May 2005, the John D. Burns Archives at Trinity College School were officially opened. Named in honour of John D. Burns, former master and School archivist, the archives are located on the third floor of the W.A. Johnson Classroom Block. The collections consist of school publications, newspapers and articles written about the School, photographs, artefacts and more, dating back to the School's founding in 1865.
Trinity College School's athletic facilties and amenities offered in and around the campus include an indoor swimming pool and a standalone hockey arena, the upper and lower gyms as well as the Arnold Massey '55 Athletic Centre. The athletic centre is home to five squash courts, three gymnasiums (one single and one double gym), a cardio & resistance training facility and athletic therapy clinic.
Trinity College School has ten houses, four of which are day student houses: Orchard, Wright, Hodgetts and Rigby, each named after former headmasters or teachers at the School. Orchard House (boys) and Wright House (girls) were established in 2002, and share a locker area and lounge in LeVan Hall. Hodgetts House (boys) and Rigby House (girls) were established in 1985 and 1996 and share a locker area and lounge in the Life Sciences Building.
Cirne Hall includes the Senior School Library, guidance, academic support and administration areas, as well as a welcoming main entrance and a large, open area - Cirne Commons - at the heart of the School. The commons area acts as a "living room" to the School, with a massive fireplace inviting students and staff to spend time relaxing, reading and socializing. It is also the site of large and small-group activities.
Completed for the start of the 2017-2018 school year, the 40,000-square-foot Arnold Massey '55 Athletic Centre includes two gymnasiums (one double and one single gymnasium), two additional squash courts (for a total of five), cardio and resistance training centre, athletic therapy clinic, classrooms, change rooms and more.
The administration offices, originally constructed in 1968, were completely renovated and reopened in November 2015 within Cirne Hall. This space includes the headmaster's office, guidance, academic support and admissions departments, as well as our welcoming main reception. This facility is fully accessbile and also features state-of-the-art technology and sustainability features.
A major feature of Cirne Hall, the Senior School library was completely renovated in 2015. It is a common study and lounge area for students with desks for silent studying and group work, and couches for reading and relaxing. New additions include a comfortable, glass-enclosed reading room, as well as enhanced technology features including cieling-mounted projectors. The School's librarians help guide students through the extensive collection of research books, novels and online resources.
Trinity College School's 100-acre campus includes nine full-sized playing fields for football, soccer, field hockey, rugby and cricket. The campus includes a country setting allowing for cross-country running and skiing in and around the area. In September 2010, the new Arnold Massey '55 Tennis Centre officially opened, including four courts and gardens. Students also have access to athletic facilities just off-campus, such as nearby baseball diamonds used by the baseball and softball teams.
The Lodge is the headmaster's residence, and was completed in 1882. Designed by renowned architect Frank Darling, it has the distinction of being the oldest intact building on campus and the only building to have survived both fires at the School, the first in 1895 and the second in 1928.
The Fessenden Wing is named after Reginald Fessenden, who graduated from TCS in 1884. An inventor who performed pioneering experiments in radio, Fessenden is credited with early - possibly the first - radio transmissions of voice and music. The Fessenden Wing consists of math and science classrooms, the information technology department and the School's electron microscope.
Visitors to TCS arriving from Deblaquire Street North are welcomed through the Centennial Gates, officially dedicated on May 15, 1965 by Governor General Georges Vanier. The gates were donated by the Seagram family in memory of Norman Seagram, class of 1893, who was a life governor and generous supporter of the School. The ironwork for the gates was donated by Trinity College, University of Toronto, in recognition of the 100th anniversary of TCS.
Trinity College School has 10 houses, six of which serve as residences for boarding students. Male houses: Brent, Bethune and Bickle, established in 1930, 1930 and 1957. Female houses: Ketchum, Burns and Scott, established in 1968, 1981 and 1992. These houses have the distinction of each being named after very different historical figures and headmasters.
The mission of the office of academic and student support is to foster independence, responsibility and understanding in matters of physical and emotional health, learning and educational planning. Our guidance staff and the Price Academic Support Centre are located in Cirne Hall, enjoying great new spaces opened in November 2015. Other student services are offered at the School's health centre and athletic therapy clinic, as well as in classrooms.
Established in 1930, the W.A. Johnson Classroom Block is named after Reverend William A. Johnson, the School's founder. In 1864, Father Johnson approached the Corporation of Trinity College in Toronto with a proposal to establish a school for boys, with an affiliation to the university. TCS opened its doors in 1865 in Weston, Ontario with nine students. In 1868, TCS moved to its present location in Port Hope. Today, it consists of languages & culture, English and social sciences classrooms.
LeVan Hall contains the School's performing arts facilities. This includes the state-of-the-art Dick and Jane LeVan Theatre, three principal music rooms, eight private practice studios, a computerized music composition lab and a drama classroom/dance studio. The R. Samuel McLaughlin Gallery offers a beautiful space in which to showcase the work of our visual arts students.
Osler Hall was constructed in 1930 after the School's second fire. The hall is named after prominent Canadian lawyer, Mr. Britton Osler, and his wife, Mrs. Marion Osler, generous benefactors of TCS. Following their initial donation, which provided the construction of the building, the Osler's donated a special gift of oak panelling to the walls of the main dining hall. The panels record, in gold, the names of Speech Day award winners.
The Memorial Chapel was opened in 1951 and dedicated to the memory of 185 Old Boys killed in the Boer War, World War 1 and World War 2. The consecration of the chapel was presided over by the Reverends L.W.B. Broughall and R.J. Renison, both TCS Old Boys. Also attending were the Governor General Viscount Alexander and his wife, and the Right Honourable Vincent Massey. Chapel services are an important part of school life, as a time for reflection, renewal and celebration.
Russel House was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Blair Russel in 1946 in memory of their son Hugh, a TCS Old Boy who was killed during WW2. In the past, it has been used as the School's tuck shop and a day house, but today Russel House is home to the School's philanthrophy and alumni office. Russel House is located on the west side of campus, along Deblaquire Street North.