A view the ruins of Quebec City (September 1, 1761)
Seven Years' War, 1756-1763 This coloured engraving was a gift of the Bain family in 2008. Title: A View of the Bishop's House with the Ruins as they Appear Going Down the Hill from the Upper to the Lower Town, Quebec. Sept. 1, 1761 Creator: Richard Short, active 1744-1777; A. Benoist, active 1761 Date: 1761 Identifier: 014short-view-of-bishops-house Format: Picture Rights: Public domain Courtesy: Toronto Public Library.
The Château Saint Louis in Quebec (shown here in a 1724 illustration) was the official residence of the Governor General of New France during the time of the French colonization. Because of its situation on the edge of the cliff - the Cap Diamant - it suffered extensive damage from British artillery during the Siege of Quebec in 1759. Note just how different this is from 18th century French architecture!!!