Historic Welland

Photos of our town Welland through the ages.
·
16 Pins
 2y
an old black and white photo of a brick building with glass doors on the front
This photo shows the new annex to the library, which opened June 10, 1961. It was a two-storey addition of approximately 4,000 sq feet that included a fiction area and meeting room. At this time, there were over 37,800 volumes of books in the library's collection, and circulation consisted of close to 83,500 for adults and over 79,000 for kids.
an old newspaper article about the library among ontario's best
In November of 1944, Chief Librarian, Miss Mary Alvin spoke to the Library Board in regard to the establishment of a Film Library at Welland Library in connection with the National Film Board at Ottawa. In November of 1946, the library became a member of the National Film Society for a fee of $12.50
an old black and white photo of people shopping at a farmers market in the 1950's
The Welland Market in the 1940s was a hub of activity of people and farmers selling local fresh foods and products. Also being located in close proximity to the library, a pleasant Saturday activity might be a visit to the market and then a stop at the library for a book or two.
an old black and white photo of a building with trees on the side of it
Can you believe we're already onto the 1930s in the history of WPL?! During this time, there was an approach from the High School asking for the library’s help in supplying supplementary reading. 📸: Welland High School, 1930
an old black and white photo of people in front of carnival booths with ferris wheel
Resource Error
The Welland County Fair was founded by The Welland County Agricultural Society at Port Robinson in 1853. The Agricultural Society later acquired 6 acres of land at Denistoun Street in Welland and moved to their new site in 1857 where the annual Fair remained until 1974. When it opened on Niagara Street in 1975, the Welland County Fair became known as The Niagara Regional Exhibition. Photo from the Welland Public Library Local History photo Collection; 1958.
an old black and white photo of people playing soccer in a park with water fountain
Do you remember the pools off East Main St. by the Welland Canal? Photos from The Welland Tribune, 1958.
an old black and white photo of a river
Cooper’s Riverside Mills, on the third Welland Canal, Welland, ON c1890
an old black and white photo of a building
Welland Garage on Hellems Street Next to Fire Hall, c. 1922
an old black and white photo of the ross co building
The Ross Company, on the Corner of East Main and King Streets, c. 1907
an old black and white photo of a man standing in front of a storefront
Morwood Company – no date
an old black and white photo of a building with two men standing in front of it
Moore and Son, Implements, Wagons, and Buggies - no date
an old black and white photo of a building
L. H. Pursel Company on East Main, c. 1907
an old black and white photo of a building with people standing in front of it
J. H, Crow Hardware and Tin-Smithing on West Main Street, c. 1905
black and white photograph of men working in an industrial machine shop, circa 20th century
Hungarian Printing Shop on 29 Cross Street. From Left to Right Louis Imre; Jimmy Szabo; Joseph Imre; John Szucs, c. 1933
an old black and white photo of three men working in a factory, one is standing next to another man
Hogue's Blacksmith Shop on Niagara Street. From Left to Right Lymburner; M. H. Hogue; Danny Rice, 1908